Medical Marijuana has been known to treat a wide variety of ailments. It has a reputation to be able to treat anything from the very serious conditions, such as relief from the symptoms of cancer, to the more minor issues like headache relief. We spoke to the knowledgeable experts at a medical marijuana dispensary in Santa Ana to find out the most common illnesses that people seek out medical marijuana in order to get relief from, and here is what we learned about it:
- As we briefly mentioned above, cancer is likely one of the most common diseases that people seek out relief from through the use of medical marijuana. Initially the application of cannabis concentrates was used in order to give a patient relief from the symptoms that were caused by chemotherapy and radiation treatments. However, studies are currently being conducted in order to determine if there is even more beneficial use in marijuana that simple symptom relief. There have been studies that were conducted in animals that showed that certain extracts of marijuana could actually kill the cancer cells themselves. Other studies have indicated that THC, which is the psychoactive component of marijuana helps radiation treatments kill the cancer cells. We are still learning about all that marijuana can do to help patients with cancer, but so far the studies are promising.
- Alzheimer’s. One of the most common side effects of Alzheimer’s is that people become agitated easily and disoriented as the disease progresses. Marijuana obtained from a medical marijuana dispensary has shown to calm down agitated patients. There are currently studies being conducted that suggest that it could also slow down the progression of the disease, although currently there is no known cure for Alzheimer’s.
- People of all ages have shown a drastic decrease in the occurrence of seizures when they ingest some types of marijuana. This is particularly ground breaking information because the kind of marijuana that they ingest is what is called the cannabidiol, or CBD. This is a major ingredient in marijuana but it is not psychoactive. That means that when it is used to treat seizures, the patient does not experience the euphoria that stereo typically goes along with marijuana products, but they still see a benefit to its use.
- This disease if it is not caught and treated early can lead to blindness. The use of the medical marijuana compound THC helps to lower the blood pressure in the blood vessels that surround the eye in order to aid with treatment as well as discomfort.
- Chronic pain. Chronic pain can cover a wide range of illnesses, such as arthritis, restless leg syndrome, and symptoms caused by multiple sclerosis or lupus. People that smoke or ingest marijuana products are being shown to experience as much as a 30% reduction in the pain that they experience. This means that they are more equipped to be an active member of their family and also to continue to seek out treatment and not lose hope for a cure.