Marketing in a nutshell is expensive. It requires any business owners to have a marketing plan to be guided on what they want to happen for their product so they would know which way to go for the advertising of their products. There are an array of marketing products that can be use to spread out the word about your product. One of which is to make use of celebrity marketing. Celebrity endorsements can make a big difference when you want to reach your target market fast. Once your product is seen in any of the celebrity appearances is, people can easily build recognition from it. However all the marketing strategies available for use has its pros and cons. Here are some pros and cons on using celebrity endorsements:
Boost up name recognition
You are paying for the name of the celebrity that will be endorsing your product. If you are hiring a very famous celebrity on launching your product in the market, even if it is a new product, the news about it will spread faster that you can project it to be. The reasons why business owners use celebrity to endorse their product is that it saves them time on waiting when it can be known in the market. Once this happens, business owners can focus on how to maintain the popularity of the product created by the celebrity.
Increase market reach
It is a given that celebrities have this certain effect on the consumers’ market. People idolizing them would want to use what they are using and even people don’t know them but sees them most of the time on their TV screens or billboards will give them a push to give the product a try. Even if you have certain target markets for you product, there is a possibility that you can reach bigger market because of this strategy.
Build product credibility
Celebrity most of the time if not all the time will always protect their name in the entertainment industry, thus this will also give your product the credibility you want to build for it. Consumers would think, a celebrity will not endorse a product that is not trusted so they trust the endorser resulting for them to trust the product as well.
Buyers can be skeptical
No matter how an endorser can be famous, you can’t expect that the celebrity can please everybody. Celebrity endorsement can also be a cause that consumer can be skeptical on the quality of the product. business owners would have the challenge to keep up on backing up a few other marketing strategy for the product.
The fee for celebrity is expensive
This can be one of the downside for using a celebrity to market your product. You are paying for their name but how much can you afford if they can’t bring in the revenue and outcome you expect from them to bring in for the business’ success?
Another popular way that celebrities endorse brands is through weight-loss ads. Weight loss companies such as Weight Watchers have taken to finding celebrity endorsers to promote their programs. There are numerous weight loss problems, supplements, exercise programs and wellness programs out there that celebrities have endorsed. Some of the best marketing for weight loss programs by celebrities includes the following list.
- Jessica Simpson. Jessica Simpson is a famous singer who also starred in a reality television show about being newlyweds with her first husband, Nick Lache. She grew famous for saying very ditzy things on television. She used that popularity to brand herself with her own product lines as well as other forms of product endorsements.
One of those endorsements was through Weight Watchers. When Jessica became pregnant with her first child (with boyfriend Eric Johnson) she signed a multi-million dollar endorsement deal with Weight Watchers. After giving birth, she filmed commercials as well as posted pictures of her slimmed down image throughout her weight loss process. Right when she was getting down to her pre-pregnancy weight, she found out she was pregnant again! After giving birth to her second child, she slimmed down quickly and now looks to be in the best shape of her life. Good pick Weight Watchers.
- Kirstie Alley. Kirstie Alley joined Jenny Craig in 2004. She was a celebrity endorser for three years and lost a whopping 75 pounds! But then she gained a lot of weight back and dropped Jenny Craig. She recently rejoined Jenny Craig with a goal weight loss of 30 pounds.
- Jennifer Hudson. Jennifer became famous when she was on the reality television show, American Idol. Her career skyrocketed after that, most musically and on-screen. Her weight did not skyrocket. In fact, she lost so much weight that she went from a size 16 to a size 6. She joined Weight Watchers as a celebrity endorser in 2010.
- Janet Jackson. She has been known for yo-yo dieting and having weight struggles. The famous singer became a celebrity spokeswoman for Nutrisystem, which has over 130 menu choices. She slimmed down quite a bit but her exact amount of weight lost is unknown because she claimed to never step on scales.
- Valerie Bertinelli. Valerie Bertinelli joined Jenny Craig in December of 2007 and lost 40 pounds. Not only did she lose weight and appeared in People magazine showing off her new figure but she inspired others to do so. Most importantly, she inspired her own mother to lose the weight. Her mother went into an emergency surgery in 2008 and had her mother still been the same weight before she started on Jenny Craig, then she would have died.It was not only inspirational to see her own personal weight loss achievement but to know that it also inspired her mom and saved her life is amazing.
These five celebrities have made a lot of money as weight loss spokeswomen but they have also influenced numerous people to become healthier and more aware of what they eat. Celebrity endorsements of weight loss programs are inspiring as long as they are done in a safe and healthy manner.