Comparing moving services can be tricky sometimes. Different companies price their services in different ways, so it is important to make sure that you are comparing apples to apples when it comes time to select your movers.
- When you are pricing out movers, it is a good idea to know exactly what you are going to need before you ever pick up the phone to call them. Do you need packers as well, or just movers? Or perhaps you are just looking for a moving truck rental? Do you have all of your moving supplies, such as boxes and tape? Often a moving company will offer those to you if they are needed. You also want to make sure you know how much labor will be involved in your move so that your potential moving company can give you an accurate quote. Will they be carrying a washer and dryer down three flights of stairs for you? Because that will eat up a lot of time and you are likely paying by the hour.
- Verify that the potential moving service is insured. Any reliable moving service will be required to have liability insurance which covers their movers, the truck and the public should any kind of accident occur. If your moving truck runs into a stoplight on the way to your new home, it will be the moving service’s responsibility to cover the damages, not yours. Some services also go the extra mile and offer insurance coverage for your items while they are on the truck, while others may offer it for an additional charge. If you plan on having your moving service handle valuable items, then you will want to make sure that they are all covered under that insurance should anything break or go missing during the move.
- Ask around to find out what kind of feedback a moving company has received in the past. Bad experiences are bound to happen to everyone at one point or another, but if a company has a review page that is full of one star reviews, then you may want to consider looking elsewhere.
- Make sure that any price estimates you get from a moving service are in writing. This protects you as well as the moving company.
- Know ahead of time what forms of payment they accept. Up until recently, many moving companies only accepted cash or check, so if you happen to hire one of those services, you want to make sure that you are prepared on moving day with the proper forms of payment.
- Look for longevity. A moving service that has been around for a long time is probably leaving behind a trail of happy customers. If a moving company looks like it has materialized overnight, then it may be a new company with no work history (a gamble) or it may be a moving company that has had to rebrand itself due to customer complaints (a big risk.) Do your homework so you will know which one you are dealing with.